You can now support BEACON through the Co-op Local Community Fund Campaign, which is raising money to support our River Guardian Project. For more information on how you can raise money every time you shop please click here.
Welcome to the BEACON website.
BEACON (Bollin Environmental Action and Conservation) is a group of people working towards controlling and eradicating invasive non-native species (INNS) within the Bollin catchment, which includes all the tributaries, meres, brooks and streams connected to the River Bollin such as the River Dean and Mobberley Brook.
The work of BEACON is done using a coordinated approach supported by a network of over 20 local partner organisations. Local Action Groups can be found all over the country, and are co-ordinated by the GB Non-Native Species Secretariat (GB NNSS). More information about the GB NNSS can be found here.
BEACON’s vision is:
To have a river catchment free from invasive species where our natural wildlife thrives. This will be achieved through surveys and monitoring, education, awareness raising and local action.
This means we will:
- Improve the quality of the water bodies and associated habitats within the Bollin catchment area.
- Protect the designated sites within the Bollin catchment area.
- Engage with local communities and schools to raise awareness of invasive non-native species, and get people involved in the project.
- Increase the number of people taking action to control non-native invasive species.
- Engage with local landowners and farmers to raise their awareness of non-native invasive species in the Bollin catchment, and how land management and farming can make a positive contribution to controlling non-natives.
The map below shows the area that the BEACON project covers.
Click on the button below if you are interested in reading our Action Plan :