Last week was invasives week promoted by DEFRA and the GB Non-Native Species Secretariat on their Facebook and Twitter pages. Every day there were different articles and items of interest to view, accompanied by the hashtag #invasivesweek
Local action groups, like BEACON, that cover lots of different regions of the UK, all got involved in sharing these articles and pictures to their followers. We also received lots of interesting feedback.
Tuesday – 11 Watery Hitchhikers That Wreak Havoc –
Thursday – Case study about the Cumbria Freshwater Invasive Non-native Species Initiative (CFINNS) on DEFRAs Facebook Page
Friday – Question and answer session on Twitter with Niall Moore from the GB Non-Native Species Secretariat and Dr Helen Roy from CEH.
Highlights of the week included:
- 6300 views of the “12 Tiny Things That Cause Big Problems” BuzzFeed
- 1300 views of the “11Watery Hitch-Hikers That Wreak Havoc” BuzzFeed
- 1000 mentions of the hashtag #InvasivesWeek on social media
- 1100 views of the Asian Hornet Flickr album
- @BBCSpringwatch tweeting the BuzzFeed link twice, and promoting Check, Clean, Dry
- Welsh Natural Resources Minister getting involved on Twitter!
- Shining the spotlight on some of the brilliant work done by nationwide Local Action Groups
And of course participation from all our followers stakeholders, which has helped to raise awareness of invasives and how people can help stop them from spreading.