Can you write persuasively, informatively and inspire others to change their behaviors and attitudes? Have you got what it takes to support community groups, teachers and young people to hold their own balsam bashes? If so, below are the details of two exciting new volunteer opportunities with BEACON that might just be for you:
Volunteer Education Officer
- This role is to create resources that will educate and raise awareness of invasive species throughout the Bollin catchment.
- Your job will be to create two different information packs:
- One about biosecurity for anglers, canoeists and other groups that use the water to recreate
- One about the Asian Hornet (a new priority invasive no-native species) and the work of BEACON in general for local beekeepers, biological recorders and entomology groups
- You will have to search for the contact details of the groups who will be sent this information, and mailshot these information packs out.
- The majority of resources will be provided by DEFRA, but you will need to compose an introductory letter or flyer explaining why these materials are being distributed.
- You must be very confident with using MS Word, MS Publisher and the internet
Balsam Bashing Champion
- This role is to create a ‘Balsam Bashing Leaders Pack’ with all the information in it that groups will need to plan, organise and host their own balsam bashes.
- Once interested groups have been identified and the packs created, you will then organise a ½ day workshop to train group leaders to ensure they are confident enough to hold their own balsam bash events.
- Most resources will be provided by DEFRA and BEACON, but you will need to compose additional introductory information, event plans and posters to include in the packs.
- You must be a very confident user of MS Word, MS Publisher and the internet.
Both roles will be supported by the BEACON Project Officer and will be largely office based at Styal, SK9 4HZ, although working from home is possible. It is envisaged that these roles will require a commitment of ½ day to 1 day per week for 2 months. Your travel expenses can be reimbursed.
For more information or to register an interest in either of these opportunities please contact Sally Potts, BEACON Project Officer, here. Closing date for expressions of interest in these roles is Friday 27th February.